Sunday, March 8, 2015

Matriarchs of Michigan

So apparently it's women's day today. Many posts celebrating accomplishments untold of the female of the species. I'm not quite a feminist, no bra burning here, but I do believe a woman's strength and weakness is taught through the generations.

I see myself as the combination of my grandma and my mom. We hail from Michigan so I often refer to them as the matriarchs of Michigan. Paula Cole's Nietzsche's Eyes has a verse that resonates with me and what they have taught me...

"Grandmother, mother, and now I see it in myself
I take on the water
until the dam threatens to break
I became a little doll
My voice became too small"

Today, and every day, not just on "women's day," the lessons they have given me are held close to my heart and are the stuff my soul is made of...

love's evolution

mother,
daughter,
granddaughter
alive in the shadow.

sing
praises
undeniable
becomes all hallowed

lament
struggle
isolating
through unearned sacrifice

rising
living
limitlessly
create personal paradise

laughter
teaching
compassion
soaring to a pinnacle

grace
strength
independence
floats a mast unsinkable

above
stern-hand
boundaries
sailing through illusion

mother
daughter
granddaughter...

forever a Love's evolution

No comments:

Post a Comment