Thursday, March 12, 2015

A petal-less flower

I was destroyed. In an abusive relationship with nothing left of myself. It took all that I had to keep my work life going and finish my degree. After that, the only thing I took joy in was a flower garden in my front yard. I enjoyed them and took many pictures of them. I was capturing the only beauty left within my sight.

I had one good friend that knew the whole of my situation. He told me one day that I was a flower with no petals. I collapsed crying because he was right...I remember it to this day.

I finally know why my petals disappeared. It was in the madness of day to day living with someone I deeply loved but treated me so horribly. Each petal was stripped away in the cycle of emotional abuse...

 a petal-less flower

She had become
a flower without petals.
A form once beautiful
as prized precious metal.

Void of gifts to 
bee’s and butterfly’s rest
no longer sharing her
nectar within their breast.

Where had the spring lost her bloom?
Was it entrapped forever in winter's tomb?

Dropped to the earthen floor in silent waste.
Color dying in abandoned haste.

Was it natural selection
leaving her only a stem
a single stamen left...
standing condemned?

All she offered stripped
wistfully stolen in despair.
Plucked away in wishes
all her splendor bare...

"he loves me...

          he loves me not...

he loves me...

          he loves me not..."

                   a petal-less flower love wrought...

© Evelyn Elizabeth 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment